Microwave and Germination of Seeds
Published on May 15, 2017
This project is based on life science and the germination of bean seeds. My project basically trying to speed up the germination of been seed plants. If my theory is correct, this can help people in many ways. For example, say if a community is low on food supplies, the microwave radiation can make the seeds of the plants grow quicker so that it might be able to be fed to the community that is low on food supplies can some sort of food until the problem is resolved. The UN, and other organizations can use it to help people in poverty.
To see if microwave radiation will affect the germination of bean seeds.
I think that the microwave radiation will help or have an affect on the bean seeds and make them germinate.
21 bean seeds
4. aluminum foil
6. paper towel
7. labels or masking tape
8. permanent marker
9. coffee cup
10. microwave safe container
11. spray bottle
1. First cut 7 pieces of aluminum foil 20 x 16 cm.
2. Then cut 7 more pieces of paper towel 18 x 15 cm.
3. Fold the paper towel in half and put on sheet of aluminum foil.
4. Next fold edges of the aluminum foil onto the paper towel then fold the edges back up.
5. Make the labels for your experiment on the paper towels: 0 seconds, 30 seconds, I minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes, and 8 minutes.
6. Next put 3 bean seeds in each of the aluminum foil packets and spray water from the spray bottle onto the 0 second bean seeds. This will be your control group.
7. Put water into the microwave safe cup. The cup of water will absorb any excess heat.
8. Now put the 15 second bean seeds in the microwave safe container and put the cup of water with it in the microwave.
9. Repeat step 8 with the following labels: 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 4 minutes, 8 minutes.
0 seconds- The 0 second bean seeds sprouted on the fourth day. The 0 sec bean seeds conditions are normal.
15 seconds- The 15 second bean seeds did not sprout at all. It seems to be that the heat radiation killed the seeds or they were bad seeds.
30 seconds- The 30 second bean seeds sprouted a day after the 0 second bean seeds.
1 minute- The 1 minute bean seeds have sprouted the same time as the 30 sec bean seeds.
2 minutes-The 2 minute bean seeds have not sprouted at all. It seems to be that the microwave radiation killed the seeds.
4 minutes- The 4 minute bean seeds have not sprouted at all. It seems to be that the microwave radiation killed the bean seeds.
8 minutes- The 8 minute bean seeds have not sprouted at all. Though, the 8 min bean seeds have turned to brown colour over the days and have formed a smelly, sticky substance that I don’t know of.
So, in my conclusion have seen that my hypothesis was correct but not the way I thought my hypothesis would be correct. You see my hypothesis was that microwave radiation would have an affect on the germination of bean seeds, but I thought that it would speed up germination. Instead the heat radiation from the microwave actually made the germination take longer. In my observations, it shows that the longer I microwaved it, the more amount of time it took for the seeds to germinate.
Heart Rate by Alice, Margaret